Girl Scout councils honor/promote pro-abortion politicians and abortion rights activists
While multiple examples are provided, the following is only a sampling of these concerns and in no way a comprehensive list. This page is a work in progress and will be updated frequently.
- Through Girl Scouts' “Inspiring Women Timeline” for girls, multiple local councils and Girl Scouts USA promote pro-abortion politicians and activists, such as Nancy Pelosi, Betty Friedan, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, and Geraldine Ferraro.
- Multiple local councils and Girl Scouts USA are promoting select women members of Congress as "Portraits in Leadership." Of the Congresswomen presented, over 2/3 consistently vote for pro-abortion legislation. Multiple local councils and Girl Scouts USA and have additionally promoted this initiative by sharing a Huffington Post article, which specifically singles out pro-abortion politicians Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Mikulski among the women presented.
- For girls as young as 11, multiple local councils provide "The Eloquent Women: 13 famous human rights speeches by women" via social media to assist girls in gaining proficiency in advocacy. Selections highlighted include Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger's speech on women's rights to birth control; Betty Friedan's final speech as president of NOW, an organization dedicated to preserving and expanding abortion rights; and several speeches centered on sexuality that are inappropriate resources for girls, one of which recommends the use of profanities as an effective public speaking tool. (documentation at this link)
- Multiple local councils and Girl Scouts USA promoted a list of 7 inspiring women of 2013, a list that includes HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius for her “ferocious defense of President Obama’s signature legislative achievement.”
- Girl Scouts USA promoted a list of recommendations for 2013 Women of the Year which included Senator Wendy Davis in recognition of her late term abortion rights advocacy. Additionally, Girl Scouts of Texas Oklahoma Plains honors Senator Davis through the Girl Scouts' Ft. Worth Women of Distinction program, which claims to recognize "purpose driven leaders". Senator Davis, a long time supporter of Planned Parenthood, and has been endorsed for years by the pro-abortion group Emily's List.
- Multiple local councils promote to girls of all ages the Dolores Huerta Patch program. Patch requirements for grades Kindergarten through twelve recommend www.doloreshuerta.org, a resource promoting abortion rights. Patch requirements for grades six through twelve recommend pro-abortion organizations like the National Organization for Women (NOW), Ms. Magazine and League of Women Voters. Huerta accepted Planned Parenthood's highest honor, the Margaret Sanger award, and helped defeat California parental notification requirements for minors’ abortions. Additionally, Girl Scouts of San Diego honors Dolores Huerta with their "Cool Women" award - stating that recipients of the award make the world a better place. Girl Scouts of Southeast Michigan also honors Huerta on a list of “inspiring women.”
- Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington launched its Women of Distinction award by choosing pro-abortion, pro-euthanasia former governor Barbara Roberts and pro-abortion attorney general Ellen Rosenblum as the celebrated recipients.
- Girl Scouts of Greater New York honors Christine Quinn with their Women of Distinction award, given to women who "serve as role models of ethical leadership for the girls [they] serve". Quinn is a Catholic New York politician who favors unlimited access to abortion at all stages of pregnancy and an outspoken supporter of Planned Parenthood. She recently expressed her desire to make the morning after pill available to middle-schoolers. She is currently highlighted by Girl Scouts of Greater New York as an “extraordinary woman” on the council's short list of its all time favorite honorees.
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts promotes pro-abortion Senator Elizabeth Warren to girl members.
- Girl Scouts of Southwest Texas promotes well-known abortion rights advocate Texas State Senator Leticia Van de Putte who is honored as a “Girl Scout Great.” Van de Putte is a long time advocate for abortion rights and continues to defend, fundraise for and promote Planned Parenthood. Her 2014 bid for Texas Lt. Governor is endorsed by NARAL (National Abortion Rights Action League) and Emily’s List (an organization with a goal of electing “pro-choice Democratic women”). (documentation at this link)
- Girl Scouts of Heart of the Hudson honors New York Democrat Congresswoman Nita Lowey with a "Women of Excellence and Leadership" award for "outstanding excellence in presenting themselves as role models for young girls." Lowey was honored with the first annual "International Family Planning Hero" award by Planned Parenthood Federation and United Nations Foundation for successfully restored U.S. funding to UNFPA, a radical pro-abortion international organization.
- Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council honors local politician Sylvia R. Garcia as a Success to Significance award recipient. Garcia is an avid public supporter of Planned Parenthood and abortion rights, and has been publicly praised by Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards. Garcia’s accolades include her service as a GSSJC board member as well as recipient of the GSSJC “Board Award”. (documentation at this link)
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts honors abortion rights activist, Swanee Hunt, as an “exemplary role model for today’s girls” through the council’s Leading Women award. (documentation: see footnotes 73 and 75 at this link)
- Girl Scouts of Greater New York honors prominent international abortion rights activist Adrienne Germain with their Women of Distinction award, given to women who "serve as role models of ethical leadership for the girls [they] serve." Germain served as President of the pro-abortion International Women's Health Coalition and co-authored "Expanding Access to Safe Abortion: Strategies for Action”. (documentation: see footnote 88 at this link)
- Both in 2012 and in 2013, Girl Scouts of Northern California events for girls feature Congresswoman Jackie Speier, a strong supporter of Planned Parenthood and abortion rights. (documentation: see footnotes 81-84 at this link)
- Gloria Steinem – iconic advocate for abortion rights and reproductive freedom. Proudly participated in the “we had abortions” campaign to remove the stigma of abortion. Staunch supporter of Planned Parenthood. (documentation at this link)
- Betty Friedan – founder of the National Abortion Rights Action League (NARAL). Founder of NOW that claims abortion rights as top priority. (documentation at this link)
- Geraldine Ferraro – pro-choice Catholic Vice Presidential candidate. (documentation at this link)
- Dolores Huerta – prominent Catholic supporter of abortion rights. Accepted Planned Parenthood's highest honor, the Margaret Sanger award. Helped defeat California parental notification requirements for minors’ abortions. (documentation at this link)
- Simone de Beauvoir – Philosopher and author hailed as a founder of feminism. Known to have underage female lovers, including students, while teaching. Staunch defender of abortion rights. Signed a public list of famous women who had abortions. (documentation at this link)
- Elizabeth Gurley Flynn – founder of ACLU. Chairwoman of the American Communist Party. Early proponent of birth control. (documentation at this link)
- and others